Thursday 4 August 2011

In the beginning...

I don't know why it's taken me so long to start a blog.

As a person who has always considered myself a writer, I have to admit that I've been woefully slow off the mark as far as blogging is concerned. I've always written. As a child I wrote poetry and stories, proudly showing them to my parents and teachers, living in fear of criticism. Even now I can remember the first time I felt that devasting, crushing feeling as one of my poems was critiqued.

Like all other sulky teenagers, convinced that nobody on the planet could possibly understand what they were going through, I religiously kept a diary, scrawling pages and pages of angst and romantic notions and carefully hiding my notebooks in an old bag on a shelf in my cupboard stuffed behind a row of cuddly toys.

As I approached A-Levels and the frightening decision of a uni placement, I ploughed all my confidence into my writing ability and switched from my decade long ambition to follow in the footsteps of Scott Robinson from 'Neighbours' to become a journalist to the slightly shakier decision of taking up Scriptwriting for Film & Television instead (much to the horror of my parents).

One degree, a published short story and a frankly, awesome wrestling role-playing website later, my writing has lapsed even though I still have daily ideas swirling around in my head, itching to be put on paper. Or on screen. And so to it then... a blog. More so for me but for anyone else who wants to read it as well.

PS - I still get that devastating, crushing feeling whenever my work is criticised, so unless you're prepared to stump up for Prozac.... be nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment